Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Maps on the Mantel


I packed away the Easter decor that was on the family room mantel this morning and replaced it with a travel themed fun mantel.   The map pictures that I have noticed in the stores lately gave me the inspiration for my late spring map mantel.


I found a wood cut out of the USA at Hobby Lobby.....50% off of course.    The blue color really doesn't work for me,  so the piece got a fresh coat of Wheat spray paint and then I dry brushed it with some white paint to give it an aged look.


I stapled a pretty cottage print fabric behind the cut out .....


Then I added a canvas floral map of the USA on one side......


To the other side is a floral canvas  map of the world......


To complete my mantel,   I placed a globe on two vintage books........


and did the same thing on the other side.


A blue Mason jar of flowers added to each side was the finishing touch to my mantel.


I want to add touches around the room of the fabric and colors that I used on the mantel.    I started by covering a pillow with the same fabric and putting it on the love seat.    Now I need to make a new floral design for the coffee table....be back soon to share my creation!




23 comments:

  1. Penny,
    Love the fabrics you used as the back drop of the maps. And I adore those globes. I still have Easter up and I am leaving it up until next week when I am off for 3 days. Still tweaking my meds to keep my BP under control. I hope you are starting to feel better and that you find out soon what is causing the problem.
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, I love the pretty fabric. The maps and globes are so unusual. Beautiful.. I have an old globe in my office and will keep it forever....even though some names are so different these days. Blessings to you this beautiful spring. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mantel. Everything looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny, this may be my favorite yet! I love the fabric map AND the floral ones. Oh so cute! By the way, I featured you and your blog on my favorite blogs post. Here is a link if you'd like to see it or share it: http://www.gwingal.com/2017/04/bloggers-smoggers/
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your pretty and romantic fabrics.
    Hugs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea for that map, Penny. Hope you are having a great Spring. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool idea Penny. You come up with so many great simple ideas---thank goodness for your thinking cap...lol. Great share, thank-you, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, this is so pretty! I love the maps with the beautiful floral patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please come share with us at #CCBG http://tryit-likeit.com/link-party-it

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea and transformation of that piece from Hobby Lobby! How did you do the prints? I love how light and summery it all feels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Great idea! Love the maps with the fabric behind them.
    #trafficjamweekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again a very clever idea. Great ideas and very pretty.
    Joyous Wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors of the canvas floral US map!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE your decor touches

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your vintage mantel with the USA and World maps is gorgeous. I love your make-over on the wood and using the fabric behind it. I could have/would have chosen that lovely floral print myself! Love the globes! I must try to find more - I have one large globe which I stenciled "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" on. I place it on top of some books but my living room is small and no mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All that floral makes me envious. I could really use some in my blah front room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the canvas floral maps - did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa, I bought the floral maps at ICanvas....hugs...

      Delete
  18. LOVE the floral maps!!

    Christina
    www.ourwoodhome.com

    PS: I found your blog via the Strangers and Pilgrims link up:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a neat idea!

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your floral map canvases, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty! Thank you for sharing at Ravenwould.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to hear from my friends!